Gray hair is a universal and widespread problem that can be a nightmare.
It occurs when melanocytes around the hair follicle reduces the amount of melanin it produces (or stops completely).
The hair is mainly made from a protein called keratin, and as the hair grows, the melanocytes around the hair follicle inject melanin into the cortex of the hair shaft, which results in its dark color.
Keratin without melanin is a yellowish gray color, so when the melanocytes slow down, the hair begins to lose its color.
Causes of Gray Hair
There are umpteen reasons that can be held responsible for gray hair, like:
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Pernicious Anemia
- Werner Syndrome
1. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry or Amla is the most famous ingredient in Ayurveda for all hair problems. It is rich in vitamin C. Including gooseberry in your diet will help your hair grow faster and prevent it from premature graying. Moreover, it will provide all sorts of benefits for your overall health.
Homemade Amla Oil To Stop Premature Graying
- 2 tsp of Amla powder (see the recipe below to know how to get powder out of gooseberry)
- 1 cup of Coconut oil
- 1 tsp of Fenugreek powder (optional)
- To make amla powder, take gooseberries pieces and dry them in shade. Once they dry completely, grind them to get their powder.
- Mix amla powder, coconut oil and fenugreek powder (if using) in a pan.
- Heat the pan on low flame.
- When you notice the oil turning brown, put off the flame.
- Allow to cool a little (do not let the oil get solid because it tends to settle in a solid state when it’s cold temperature outside)
- Strain and store the oil in a container.
Massage your scalp and hair daily at night. Wash off your hair in the morning.
2. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are able to bring back lost pigment to your hair. These leaves are nature’s gift having certain pigment that can retain your original hair color. You can use curry leaves in several ways: to temper your gravies, boil them in water and have as tea, grind them to mix with buttermilk or curd and have tasty treats.
Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil Tonic
- 100 ml of Coconut Oil
- Curry Leaves- a handful of them (you may also increase the amount)
- Mix curry leaves with coconut oil and boil them together. If it’s winter, your coconut oil will be in solid state. So, first heat it to melt and then add curry leaves to boil them.
- When the leaves turn black, put off the flame.
- Strain the oil and store in an air tight container.
Apply this oil to your hair daily at night by massaging your scalp with fingers gently. Massage for about 15-20 minutes. Leave it overnight and wash off your hair the next morning. Use this oil for at least 3 months to get results.
Henna is another very good natural remedy for gray hair. It works as a wonderful natural hair colorant by making your hair darker and stronger.
- A handful of henna leaves
- 3 tsp of Indian gooseberry powder
- 1 tsp of coffee powder
Grind the henna leaves into a paste. Add Indian gooseberry powder, coffee powder, and a little plain yogurt. Spread it evenly on your hair. After it dries, rinse it out and then shampoo your hair as usual. Repeat the process once every two to four weeks.
4. Rosemary and Sage
Both these herbs help cover the gray hairs by darkening your hair color naturally.
- Half a cup of rosemary
- Half a cup of sage
- 2 cups of water
Take the rosemary and the sage and boil them in water for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 2–3 hours then apply to your hair and scalp. Leave on until it dries then shampoo off with a natural shampoo. Repeat every week and eventually all gray hairs will be gone.
Amaranth is a nutrient packed vegetable that looks similar to spinach. It restores the natural color of hair.
Simply apply the juice from some fresh amaranth leaves onto your scalp and gently massage in. Leave on for 30 minutes before washing off.
6. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
This mixture is very beneficial for treating grey hair and also gives long term benefits in terms of texture, strength as well as length of hair.
- 3 tsp of lemon juice
- coconut oil enough for the length of your hair
Mix the ingredients and massage you head with the mixture daily, for about 15 minutes.
7. Black Sesame Seeds
The black sesame seeds turn grays to natural black. You should eat raw black sesame seeds daily with water on an empty stomach.
8. Black Strap Molasses
Black strap molasses prevent gray hair. It is rich in copper, which helps with the production of hair pigment. You should eat a tablespoon of it every morning for at least a few months to see positive results.
9. Black Tea
Black tea helps darken, soften and adds shine to the hair.
- 2 tsp of balck tea
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of salt
Boil two teaspoons of black tea in a cup of water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Allow it to cool. Rinse your hair with this a few times. The last time, let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash your hair with cold water but do not use shampoo. Repeat the process once or twice a week.
10. Onion Juice
According to experts, graying of the hair is due to accumulation of hydrogen peroxide at the bases of hair follicles bases. Onion juice promotes the production of this compound.
Apply onion juice onto your scalp, massage, and leave it on for about 30 minutes to an hour. Repeat the process daily for a few weeks.
Article source: www.healthyfoodhouse.com